It is generally identified that Vegas is the place the place one can legally wager on absolutely anything, supplied the books provide the proposition wager(s). Gamblers like to put their cash on bizarre wagers, particularly round Tremendous Bowl time. Now that the Supreme Court docket has overturned the ban on sports activities betting, we simply may see extra uncanny bets being supplied in states that bid for sports activities books. Bizarre wagers will not be distinctive to Vegas. The U.Okay additionally will get in on the motion.
This is a group of among the most weird, weirdest, wackiest wagers ever made:
- 1979: The late Jackie Gaughn, proprietor of the El Cortez resort in downtown Vegas, posted odds when the faltering U.S. satellite tv for pc Skylab, was about to crash to earth. The percentages have been put up on the place it might crash: 5/1 for one of many 5 oceans, 12/1 into the Soviet Union, 100/1 on California soil, 2,000/1 for a success in tiny Rhode Island, and even 10,000/1 that it might crash into the El Cortez! Seems it landed in Australia at 30/1.
- 1980: From the favored TV present Dallas: “Who shot JR?” Wagers have been taken on the Castaways Lodge with odds on each solid member previous to the season ending cliff hanger episode, however the Gaming Management Board ordered a halt to all betting as a result of somebody needed to have a script that knew the reply.
- 1981: Amidst the continued controversy over the homicide of President John F. Kennedy, the grave of alleged murderer Lee Harvey Oswald was about to be exhumed to substantiate identification. The sports activities e-book on the Union Plaza was fast to leap on the proposition bandwagon on whose physique could be within the coffin. Odds have been posted for: a Soviet agent, Jack Ruby (Oswald’s murderer) or an empty coffin. Attributable to considerations in regards to the advantage of such a wager, the gaming fee put a lid on it. Seems it was Oswald in any case.
- Within the UK, it was 500/1 that the FBI will affirm that Elvis remains to be alive and one other 500/1 that Michael and LaToya Jackson are one in the identical.
- UK bookmakers additionally supplied 1,000/1 that Tiger Woods would change into President of the US and 5,000/1 that Invoice Clinton and Monica Lewinsky would marry.
- A London resident named Matthew Drumbell positioned a 1,000,000/1 wager that the world would finish earlier than the 12 months 2000. In fact, who could be left to pay him if he survived? No pun supposed on the person’s title.
Throughout Tremendous Bowl week in Vegas $ tens of millions are tossed throughout the betting terminals to wager on one’s favourite crew, and a few bizarre bets as properly. Listed below are a few of Tremendous Bowls’ previous prop bets:
· Will singer Kelly Clarkston omit or mess up a number of phrases within the Nationwide Anthem? How lengthy will it take her to sing it? Over/Below 1 minute, 34 seconds. Will her naked stomach be exhibiting when she sings it?
· If Quarterback Tom Brady’s son is proven on TV throughout the recreation, will he be sporting a Tom Brady Jersey?
· What number of instances will Patriots proprietor Robert Kraft be proven on TV throughout the recreation?
· What would be the first landing celebration? A ball spike, a dance, lay on the bottom, a goalpost dunk, a Tim Tebow kneel, or kiss a cheerleader?
· What coloration Gatorade can be dumped on the successful crew’s head coach? Yellow, orange, clear, pink, inexperienced, blue? (Yellow was favourite.)
· Who will the Tremendous Bowl MVP thank first in his post-game interview? Teammates, God, Proprietor, Coach, Household, Nobody? (Teammates have been the favourite.)
So, there you have got it. I’m wondering what bizarre wagers await us for subsequent Tremendous Bowl? I suppose we’ll simply Have to attend to search out out.